This recipe is a filling and tasty meal that serves 4 large portions and is ideal for a nice family meal on a Sunday evening.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
- 2lb lamb neck fillet
- 2 large leeks
- 2lb potatoes (Maris Piper)
- 4 large carrots
- Worcester sauce
- Black pepper (ground)
- Half a pint lamb stock (lamb stock cubes)
- 2 table spoons of plain flour
- 2 table spoons of olive oil
- (Optional) 2 tables spoons of red wine
- Pickled red cabbage
- Mix the black pepper with the plain flour in a large bowl.
- Cut the lamb neck fillets into 1inch cubes. Coat the lamb cubes with the flour mix, make sure they are fully coated. Fry in the olive oil until all sides of the lamb are browned. Put in a large casserole dish. Do not discard/wash the frying pan.
- Finely slice the carrots and place on top of the lamb.
- Finely slice the leeks and place on top of the carrots.
- Finely slice the potatoes and place on top of the leek.
- Add the Worcester sauce, black peer, and (if using) red wine on top of the potatoes. (Step 7 washes these in to the dish.)
- Pour the stock in to the frying pan to pick up the flavour left behind by the lamb, stir and pour in to the casserole dish.
- Put the lid on the casserole dish and place in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and return to oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve with pickled red cabbage. My son also likes large helpings of English mustard.